Skip to main content

INSPIRED SHE: Kelly's Craft Story




Last month, I was excited to start the "Inspired She" series. Today I would like to share my own inspired journey into the world of papercrafting.

I grew up in a creative family but never had any real passion for arts and crafts. I remember my mom whipping out her hot glue gun creating beautiful floral wreaths and decorating Summer straw hats. I helped and enjoyed spending time with mom but I was like, "Nah, not my thing."

Years later, when I was dating my husband, he pointed out how creative I was. He saw it in the way I dressed and put myself together. I think he was seeing glimmers of my creativity before I saw it.

Then in 2006, I was going through dark depression and anxiety and just shut down from everyone and everything. I was so tired and just needed to recharge my batteries and recover.

As a way to stay connected to my friends and family, I thought to make my first ever Christmas cards. Overwhelming joy swept over me after I made this first set of cards. I was now inspired to make more.

I had new found energy to find and visit local scrapbook stores for supplies. This is when I discovered how life giving, soothing, rewarding and fun papercrafting could be.

One day, I was at a friend's blog which lead me to Two Peas in a Bucket papercrafting website. Finding this site was like finding an oasis. I had no idea card making and scrapbooking was so big. That site was full of resources and introduced me to a new world. Plus, I had a place to share my cards.

I got a note from a sweet lady named Cindy that invited me to a group on the message boards called the "Pokey Peas." From that day on, I found a wonderful and supportive group of friends. They cheered for me and encouraged me as I was growing my new found passion.
Early card from 2010

Meanwhile, my friends and family were so excited about the cards I was sending them and suggested I start a business. So my husband and I did in 2011 and K. Simone Designs was born. Since then, my cards have been received by loved ones, women's organizations and even a few celebs and public figures. Also, we sold our cards at "Inventori," actress Tori Spelling's former store.

Cards we donated to a NBA wives event in 2012.

After a few years of making scrapbook pages and cards, I wanted to learn how to draw and eventually paint. This lead me to Donna Downey, Marion Smith of Prima and Julie Fei-Fan Balzar. I loved watching their videos on art journaling and painting and this further inspired me. I never liked to draw but suddenly I was practicing every day for a while. The next thing I knew, I was making big leaps into art and having a grand 'ole time.

Me proudly sharing my first floral paintings in 2010.

Since then, I have surprised myself with interest in other creative activities like writing, home decorating, guitar lessons, make-up and fashion, baking, crocheting and even floral arrangement.

The thing that gets me is this creativity has been in me my whole life and I never knew it. What a wonderful time to shine.

Crafting has been a joy for me and a life teacher. I have discovered so much about myself that maybe I wouldn't have learned if I hadn't hit that dark time. As a Christian, I do believe God is guiding my steps and helped me uncover a whole side of me that was ready to emerge and celebrate.

So to all my artsy craftsy friends out there I hope this inspired you to keep crafting. Not only is it good medicine but it is exciting! To all my friends who have never picked up washi tape or a hot glue gun, give a try. You might not get hooked but you will have fun. Get your craft party on!!!


Comments

  1. Kelly, I love this explanation of your foray into the arts. It has been fun to watch you blossom and grow and get more daring in your painting and drawing. You do beautiful work! I find that being creative is less expensive and more fun than therapy. When I get uptight or over-stressed, sitting in my scraproom and playing with paper always pulls me out.
    Thanks for sharing this adventure with us. I am so grateful that we have become friends.
    Hugs, Nylene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being with me from the beginning to now.

      Delete
  2. You have amazing talent, Kelly, and I am really happy you found ways to bring it to the surface. Thanks for sharing your creative journey. I hope it encourages others to let the inspiration flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee for visiting and for your support and kindness.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your creative journey. You are crazy talented! You seem to pick up things so quickly (like that beautiful crocheted blanket). Your cards and paintings are always amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa for your cheers and support. It means a lot.

      Delete
  4. Heartwarming Kelly! It's been a long wonderful journey of contentment! Your work is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Hi Honey.

    I am very, very proud of you and continue to be amazed at your rapid growth as an artist. I am glad that I was at the start of your artistic journey, and have enjoyed this wonderful ride with you.

    I am looking forward to you getting your beautiful cards and inspiring art out to an even greater audience so that many more people can appreciate you the way I and your crafting community do.

    Love, your husband.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a big inspiration and support to me! I am so glad you have been able to witness my artistic joys up close. Love you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Sistah Painting

I love trying new things in art. It is like an adventure and a hearty challenge. So after I saw this picture of the soul singer Ledisi, I just had to try it. Love the dark eye shadow and the head tilted. So dramatic! When I first tried adding the blue eye shadow to my painting it looked cool to me. But when I had my hubby look at it he nicely told me the blue I did made her eyes look hollow! LOL! So I went back and added a lighter blue and that did it! So here are some pictures showing the progression of my version of Ledisi. Thanks for stopping by! Have a super day.

My Birthday Blog Party

Welcome to my Birthday Blog Party! I am starting my celebration early to fully enjoy my day. My actual birthday is May 29th but why not start early right? :) When I think of birthdays past, they were always such exciting times for me. Many of my birthdays were celebrated with fun parties from my childhood to my young adult years. I loved all of those special parties and to this day, I still love it. Maybe this is where my love for event planning all started. At my 3rd birthday, my parents gave me a big one. I don't really remember but the pictures are so cool. I had lots of kids there, a clown, a little merry-go-round ride and lots of games. I had a white little outfit on and was looking so cute for a Spring party. Boy, I looked so happy! Also, I was brave not to be afraid of the clown, too. My mom was holding me as I blew the candles out. Another year, I had my first slumber party. That was so fun! I invited several friends and a cousin. It was so great to have m

Under the Trees (updated)

Last Sunday, my husband and I went to one of our local parks. It was a nice, sunny and warm afternoon but the breeze was just heavenly. We found a shady spot full of all types of trees and laid out and just relaxed. So here is a layout I did from that lazy Sunday. I scrap lifted this idea from Latrice Murphy's layout in the August 2014 issue of Paper Craft & Scrapbooking magazine on page 59. I saw the online copy and when I saw her layout, it went in my memory to try at some point. A great way to use up all those scraps I had sitting around, too. I love the wood grain paper paired with all the bright patterned paper.  We laughed as I took the "selfie" of us laying around. I splattered white gesso paint around. This little leather sticker was a fun touch. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day! 7/25/14 After looking at this layout this morning I decided to add some gold glitter paper banners to really finish it off. Now I feel sati